X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Mini reg number

I have a 1960 Mk1 Austin Mini Seven, it's a early shell with all the different things that you would expect to see on a a car of this year,

ie. no depression around front and rear screens, front seat mounts welded to box section, no seat belt mounts, sills on the inside and still foam filled, courtesy lights fitted to rear companion boxes, regulator box with 09/60 date. etc, etc,

The body number is still fitted to the front panel and this checks out OK

All in all the body work is in quite good order for its age, although there is little left of the interior. Now the strange thing about this car is that it a suffix letter A registration number which I believewere first issued in 1963 although on the V5 the date of first registration is Nov 1960. I have contacted theDVLA and to their knowledgethe carhas not been issued with a new reg number. I have also sent off for a heritage certificate and all checks OK dating the car to Sept 1960.

Hasanyone come across this before? any info would be welcome.

(by the way I am thinking of selling the car if any one is interested please let me know)

imported post

It may have been abroad and lost its original ID or simply had the number transfered early on in its life.

Numbers issued before 1983 arent on the DVLA's computer database, this is when they introduced a computer and also when they introduced the V5 document to replace log books.Anything that happened after that is on the computer, anything previous to 1983 is probably down in the cellar at swansea in a musty old file. I doubt they'll go down there and look for you!

Comment

imported post

I would say it is the result of a previous owner having sold the original registration some years ago. DLVA will usually carry out a search for you (if you pay them)....

When we bought my wife's 1960 Wolseley 1500 in around 1990 thattoo had an 'A' suffix plate which was issued by Oxford licencing office as a replacement for the originalregistration the car's previous owner had sold. At that time there were many older cars about with 'A' plates issued for the same reason. Later, the DVLA started issuing 'age related' plates which you could apply for free. We did that, and her car now has the registration YFF--- instead which looks more correct.

If you are interested in such things, you get to spot these frequently occuring issues (recent ones seem to be XUH XUJ XUK etc. which you'll see a lot of if you look at classic cars on ebay....).

Out of interest, what is the condition, price and location of your car?

Comment

imported post

Here's another one for this subject; This is a June '60 Morris I'm looking at.. I don't think it would have been born with this plate. Any thoughts?
        Last edited by CooperKiwi; 20-07-13, 12:30 PM.

Comment

imported post

Another couple of pics FYI..
          Last edited by CooperKiwi; 20-07-13, 12:30 PM.

Comment

imported post

I don't know any reason why that shouldn't be its original plate. Its not from any re-issued series that I recognise. The number plates themselves also look of a certain age!

Comment

imported post

YOR is from Hampshire -issued May/June 1960.

Comment

imported post

I would say it is the result of a previous owner having sold the original registration some years ago. DLVA will usually carry out a search for you (if you pay them)....

Thank you all for your input, I think this must have been the case that the original reg was sold and a 1963 reg given in it's place. As mentioned in my first posting the body is in quite good shape and would be worth preserving but at the moment I am not able to take the job on (also loosing storage space) so it's going to be put on ebay in the next week or so, if any one is intersted in the car please PM me and I will let you have more details etc, alsohelp with delivery may be available.

Comment

Working...
                X